We hosted a discussion on Forum Strategy and explored some answers to questions.
This one was: why are forums a good investment:
- Long tail seo
- They become a knowledge base for your community to help with new member onboarding, retention, and SEO
- There’s no rush to answer
- You can make it open or closed
- They can live somewhere you own vs. somewhere you rent (social media)
- People can (often) see their contributions over time (badges, points, etc)
- No algorithm
- You can do AMAs that have a long term value
- They are an archive/history of your community/industry
- You can use it for community discovery
- You can pin/highlight top replies to quickly feature answers
What else would you add to this list?
This is a wiki post, feel free to edit this list directly or add a comment.