We hosted a discussion on Forum Strategy and explored some answers to questions.
This one was: What processes need to be created for setting up and maintaining a forum?
- What flywheels need to be created?
- Shared acronyms/dictionary
- Pick a platform
- Process for removing/updating outdated discussions
- Add categories/tags?
- How do we promote it?
- Rules and moderation
- What goes into moderation?
- Internal team staffing for moderation and participating in conversations
- Code of Conduct
- How will discussions happen?
- Naming and branding
- Guidance on how to ask a good question/write a good topic
- Notification options/setup - how will people be notified if someone replies, likes, mentions?
- Is there an emojis strategy
- Platform maintenance
- Messaging to existing community members explaining what they should do if they want to participate
- What is not allowed? How do we agree on that?
This is a wiki post, feel free to edit this list directly or add a comment.
That’s a pretty comprehensive list already.
If we think of “Creating” and “maintaining” as two different lists, then I think key areas are:
- Picking a platform (with some input from members if already on a platform elsewhere)
- Code of conduct (set those boundaries and non-negotiables early)
- Branding and mission statement
- Docs on how notifications work, how to create content, etc
- Internal team management
- Growth strategy
- Promotion strategy
Great lists so far! Some things I would add depending on your organization’s size or the number of people involved in maintaining/taking care of the community. Some of these might be redundant. I’m looking through my Confluence docs so this might be too specific.
- Roles and Responsibilities. Our community is managed by a team of 1 under the support umbrella. We are built on insided (platform) and only have 5 admin seats. The amount to increase this is out of our budget so we created a support login (in case anyone besides myself needs to login: vacations, etc.). We also outlined our expectations for other teams on how often they need to check the community to answer questions that fall within their expertise.
- Employee Engagement Guidelines. What’s ok and what’s not ok to post. General guidelines on how to answer questions.
- How and When to Ban Community Members
- How to Collect Member Feedback About Our Product. We use Productboard for this and set up an integration with Zapier.com.
- Community Events and How to Run Them
- How to Submit Events to Appear in the Community. This is for the marketing and success teams.
- How to Push Conversations to Support. Not all conversations are meant for our community. Things like billing will be moved to our support channels.
- Community Metrics Reporting: what are we reporting and where can we find those analytics within the community.
- Terms and Conditions