What do you find most annoying in communities?

We’re testing out the new “copy to forum” feature from the chat, so let’s give it a go!

rosiesherry
#Chat

What do you find annoying in communities?

2 Likes

The biggest contender for this, imho, is marketing spam. People just come in with a selfish mindset to promote their own stuff.

I also posted this as a tweet earlier.

2 Likes

This is not a huge one, but fresh on my mind per today :sweat_smile:, but I’d say inappropriate tagging of @channel (this is more Slack or Discord specific). getting a channel wide notification when it is not important or does not pertain to me drives me nuts. use those @channel tags wisely!

2 Likes

Communities that exist solely as public helpdesks, or are siloed in general from the rest of the organization.

4 Likes

yes @andymci !

I get annoyed when community members are rewarded more for taking than they are taught on how to give in the community.

1 Like

When there are too many newbies and not enough people to learn from.

I think a lot of communities suffer from this as they grow; it’s much easier to attract newbies and get them to publish, so slowly the veterans find less and less value…which means they’re less likely to answer the newbies. We saw this pretty intensely at CMX Summit, where the old hands were much less enthused, but we had such a growing base of newbies we had to cater to them.

I think figuring out how to try to serve each “generation” is key as a community gets older (but also very hard).

4 Likes