What community metrics do you actually care about?

I’m trying to establish better thoughts (for myself) about community metrics that I actually care about.

Below is a screenshot from Discourse for this Rosieland Forum/Village which I generally find helpful from a ‘heartbeat’ and ‘is everything going in the right direction?’ angle.

I guess as part of community building we want to prove we are providing value and often metrics are what we turn to. However, I kinda of feel it should be metrics mixed in with valuable outcomes.

Metrics are meaningless unless there are also valuable outcomes at the end.

When I think of outcomes I mean things like: successful collaborations and co-creations, personal members growth, and people getting real help and answers.

What metrics do you actually pay attention to? And (how) do you measure any specific outcomes?

2 Likes

This. We should measure what we value, not value what we measure. (It’s the first rule of monitoring and evaluation)

When people ask about metrics, I recommend a combination of activity and impact in line with the agreed community strategy.

Community strategy (in brief) is obtained by answering this question: How does bringing people together solve customer/user problems and deliver organisational aims?

Community metrics will be: community health/activity, member/org needs met, tangible value to member/org, and evidence of quality/satisfaction.

These will change depending on the organisation, the type of community, and the type of community.

For the community I lead, we aim to reduce isolation, provide information and support, and help people feel heard and supported, as well as delivering a scalable and high quality service that people need and funders want to fund. Metrics enable us to prove ROI, attract funding, and demonstrate value.

Maybe I should write a blog about this…

4 Likes