🌶 Spicy take: There are too many community tools designed to delight CEOs rather than the people actually building community

It’s 2022 and community tools still feel lacking.

• How are you still feeling challenged in your community work?
  • What do you spend too much time on?
  • How do you wish it was easier?

(Twitter and Discord discussions for reference and collating later)

2 Likes

As someone who often watches enterprise purchasing up close, I’d say that generally there are the following cases:

• Generic RFP spreadsheet with hundreds of rows (“can post a reply”, etc) this is usually selection by committee
  • Direct referral from someone who uses our software
  • Shortlisted from all potential platforms

Generally speaking, the CTO or similar level end up making the decision but can be persuaded by the panel. Sadly, it’s rare to see senior community managers on that panel. It tends to be either CTO level, paid advisors or technical departments with direct integration requirements.

We pitched to a well known software company and the community team preferred our platform but the CTO had already made up their mind after being woo’d by competitors sales team so it was more due diligence than actual research when it came to look at our platform.

We offer monthly meetings with the community management teams to listen to their feedback/pain points and work resolutions to those into our roadmap.

2 Likes

I agree especially in the analytics section. Apart from a lot of it being just an overload of numbers that often don’t tell you too many actionable things, I think it comes down to community teams not having enough budget.
The tools have to cater to CEO’s or CMO’s because they’re the ones who can make the purchase at the end on the day.

1 Like