Many community tools are just features that community tools should have

There’s a bit of community tool overwhelm. And it’s not that these tools aren’t great ideas. Many of them are. But many of them should be part of a larger community tool.

Just like we saw checking into locations being soaked up into part of the likes of Facebook. Or even a more modern example is TikTok now has a Now feature, which I guess is competition to BeReal…though honestly, I’ve used neither (so please correct me if I’m wrong).

Many community tools are just features that community tools should have.

Community builders don’t want to manage such a large amount of tools, it’s overwhelming and very hard to connect the community activities and data together in a meaningful way.

I predict they’ll either they’ll get bought up or their ideas copied into bigger tools.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

I think that most community software have to many features. It’s better to concentrate on a couple of features and be really good instead of just adding extra features just because it’s possible.

1 Like

Yes a good point, I can see that problem too. The bloat problem is real.

I think I’m feeling the pain of having too many tools and it’s not making my job very fun. It’s hard to make things flow. To connect the data nicely. To publish things with ease.

It does get me thinking and excited about the future of community though. There’s still lots of room to improve. And we can improve by adding and removing stuff. :slight_smile:

I think the biggest challenge of software builders is to have enough features but at the same time keep the UX great for your members. Best way to do that is using the software yourself as well.

1 Like

I typically think of tools as being things that just automate what you know ahead of time you want to do. They don’t “add value” so much as they just automate. From that perspective, I would guess that for the tool space to mature, it requires the actual practice to mature. For more people to “do community” in a more similar way to one another over time. This tends to happen in lots of spaces as people explore for years, and kinda shake out “what is the best way to do this”. When that shakeout/maturation happens, and people know what they want to do, the tools always come to take advantage of that market.

The current tools in the community space I think map to the facets of community that different companies are doing differently.

Can you give an example of this?

1 Like

community intelligence platforms that automatically scan all of the social feeds for you and compile a listing of what the community is doing cross-channel, instead of having people who check in manually with all of the different messaging channels like twitter, stackoverflow, etc.