Learning outcomes for the foundation course - open source stylee 🌈

All good courses have learning outcomes. In clear, unambiguous language, they state what you should be able to do by the end of the course.

And the fewer learning outcomes the better. Ideally you should be able to recall the learning outcomes from memory. Less is definitely more in this case.

Initial learning outcomes

As Rosie and I start to co-design our foundation course for community people with you, I’ve had a first go at some initial learning outcomes:

By the end of this course you should be able to:

1. explain community,
  2. discover community needs,
  3. design a minimum viable community,
  4. create growth and sustainability.

The “explain community” learning outcome is super brief. It could encompass a huge amount of content. What is community? Why is it important? How do I sell it to investors or budget holders? And so on and so on. I feel that keeping it vague will let us add, edit and refine a lot of content.

“Discover community needs” fits nicely into my experience with user research and Rosie’s ideas about community discovery. I could have put “discover community member’s needs”, but the community as an entity in itself may have needs. More on that another time.

“Design a minimum viable community” (or MVC for short) makes my heart sing :slight_smile: Of all the learning outcomes, this is the one I hope will stand the test of time the longest. It just makes sense to me, and hopefully will to you, without further explanation.

“Create growth and sustainability” leads on nicely from learning outcomes 2 and 3. “Create” could be “Develop”. Then it would be the 3D’s of discover, design and develop, which is probably easier to remember.

I’d like to get it down to just 3 learning outcomes. This is where Rosie and I need your help.

What would you do? How would you simplify the learning outcomes? Do they make sense? What would you add, edit or delete?

To guide the first version I used the excellent intro guidance from Oxford University. Feel free to have a read and then reply with your suggestions for changes.

Open source

The foundation course is an open source project. This means the content is available for modification and redistribution, which encourages collaboration.

To do this, we’re hosting the content on a service called GitHub. This allows us to easily manage different versions of the course. Anyone can pull parts of the course out, work on it and merge the changes back in. You can view our GitHub page at https://github.com/RosielandHQ.

We’re running a session on 17 November 2022 to co-create the community curriculum. Please do signup and we’ll run thru making changes to the curriculum in GitHub. If you wanna swot up in advance, GitHub has loads of training and guides on YouTube.

Licence geekery

For my fellow licensing geeks out there, we’re thinking of using a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) licence for our work.

This means that you are free to:

• copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format,
  • remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.

You can do this so long as you:

• give appropriate credit, provide a link to the licence, and indicate if changes were made,
  • distribute your contributions under the same CC BY-SA 4.0 licence.
1 Like