How to grow your community by writing great content

👋 Hello everyone. I'm Matthew and I will be your guide in Rosieland today.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://rosie.land/posts/how-to-grow-your-community-by-writing-great-content/

Thanks for sharing this Matthew, this is a really great and concise approach to improving engagement. I know within the QE Community in LBG its all about striking a balance as well. Our focus was primarily on whats new and whats shiny and ohh look at all this automation, which was great for about half of our community but swiftly shut off the other half. We also found that consistency is really important. Just consistently putting out the message or the blog or the fun post regularly enables much more in the way of engagement.

Also totally agree about engaging with the community members, even saying thank you makes a huge difference to those that take part. Helps them feel valued, its such a simple action but makes a huge difference. I often use the “thanks and follow up question” approach. This usually gets a response and more often than not another response form someone other than myself.

Great share, what approach would you use for people who are a bit ‘long in the tooth’ and feel like an online ‘work’ forum is not really for them. How do you attract that kind of demographic?

1 Like

Thank you, so glad you liked the post, and it’s great to hear that you’ve encountered the same challenge in making content that appeals to everyone.

“Thanks + question” is a great approach. Definitely should increase engagement—and the more times you get someone contributing to your community in a row, the more likely they are to stay around.

On people who think it’s not for them: I’m convinced that stories are the best way to reach them. For Capiche, that was in-depth tech history pieces on the history of Markdown, command palettes, and more. Once folks like that do join your community, try to note what they seem to be interested in–and if discussions around that pop up, email them and say you thought of them and would love their opinion. Won’t work every time, and isn’t exactly sustainable as your community grows, but definitely can get things started.