How might you apply Grice's Maxims to a community?

I recently learnt about Grice’s Maxims.

And I couldn’t help but think it has a relationship with how community members share and consume information with each other.

In a time when we community professionals might be caught up in chasing numbers and trying to satisfy everyone, I see Grice’s Maxims as a handy model, and reminder, for encouraging good conversations — the essence of good community.

1. The maxim of quantity , where one tries to be as informative as one possibly can, and gives as much information as is needed, and no more.
  2. The maxim of quality , where one tries to be truthful, and does not give information that is false or that is not supported by evidence.
  3. The maxim of relation , where one tries to be relevant, and says things that are pertinent to the discussion.
  4. The maxim of manner , when one tries to be as clear, as brief, and as orderly as one can in what one says, and where one avoids obscurity and ambiguity.

Source: Grice's Maxims

How might the maxims help? How might you use it as part of your community strategy? Have you used this as a model to encourage useful and helpful conversations? Are there any parts of the model that you see causing problems?

1 Like

I believe that the one way you can use it in your strategy is to follow the maxims by yourself, try to foster such a habit within the moderators, and, finally, shape your community members to be most effective.

Also, I believe the maxims are suitable for the tech communities but might not be for the communities of artists.

1 Like