How do you discourage a community to shout out a list of people on social platforms?

At the community I advocate for we have a concept called “Social Questions”. We put out questions to the community via our social platforms (in this case Twitter and LinkedIn).

It’s brill and can often create good conversations and many exchanges of ideas. Plus we can incorporate those questions (and answers) on other platforms we exist on – such as on our Discourse.

I recently experimented with creating a shared document to encourage people to add questions they’d like us to ask anonymously on their behalf. It’s been a success and we’ve had tonnes of questions added (which we schedule via Buffer).

The following question appeared and I haven’t scheduled it:

Which LGBTQIA+ testers have inspired you?

I’ve added the following comment to the question:

This is an amazing question.

Typically we don’t tend to go down the “give a shout out to specific people” route. It might isolate those who do not get a mention.

It may also put pressure on people who are mentioned who do not desire attention at that point in time — for the spotlight to be shone on them and/or for them to feel compelled to reply.

Will revisit this and find a way to reword it so it considers these concerns.

LGBTQIA+ testers are absolutely something we should celebrate. Just need to find an inclusive and non-intrusive way to do it. Thanks for adding the question.

There’s added complexity as I’m sensitive that the question has a specific goal of lifting up those who are underrepresented.

What are your thoughts? How do you typically discourage/encourage “shout out” lists? What are some of your reasons for not doing/doing them?

And in this particular case, what might be another way of asking the question to achieve a similar celebratory goal?

1 Like

Interesting.

I love being tagged, it makes me feel good and recognised. Though I often roll my eyes when the same white men get tagged and recognised time and time again.

Also, not quite the same, but related are ‘awards’, which I generally detest. It becomes a marketing game and the rules for being included are often sketchy.

Threads on Twitter often work really well, they do get boring though, but one time there was a thread on people who had done great things, they were all intentionally women, but it was not mentioned in the thread that it was an all women list. It went viral and as a result the women on the list got thousands of follows.

I prefer it this way as I got tired (even though I’m always grateful) of being included in lists of women. I want to be recognised for my work, not for my gender.

Yet at the same time, less represented people need opportunities to level themselves up and community is often a great avenue to get recognition.

I think it could be interesting to segment people based on their identity as a way to filter people when you are searching for ways to collaborate with people. Like, what if when people signed up to your community and they were put into a an LGBTQIA+ after opting into selecting a field that they were LGBTQIA+, then as community leaders we could then find creative ways to support them.

I hope that makes sense :see_no_evil:

And does it help?

1 Like