How do you Call to Action (CTA) in community?

A Call to Action is a marketing term that we can adapt to community building.

“Call to action is a marketing term for any design to prompt an immediate response or encourage an immediate sale. A CTA most often refers to the use of words or phrases that can be incorporated into sales scripts, advertising messages, or web pages, which compel an audience to act in a specific way.” — Wikipedia

In community, I believe we are always calling to action, but we do it in different ways.

Some will look more formal and like standard CTAs, like ‘Register’ (for an event), or ‘Join community’, to formally sign up to the community.

However, community is often more organic and has a tendency to focus on language for building relationships.

I like how Noele Flowers rebranded it CTC (Call to Connect).

I always feel odd talking about CTAs (calls to action) in a community context, bc of the association w/ "selling."

But, many components of community design, down to daily engagement posts, need CTAs.

I propose a rebrand: CTA ⏩ CTC 🎉Call To Connection. Happy Friday!

— Noele Flowers (@NoeleFlowers) August 27, 2021

And here’s a diagram I came across showing the difference between transactions and relationship building.

Source: What is relationship-centred practice? - Relationships Project

How do you Call to Action in a more natural way?

Some ideas to get us going:

• tagging people in chat/forums
  • saying ‘hey, I thought you would like this’
  • quoting and recognising people’s work
  • sharing and shouting out people’s work because you can
  • hey, how can I help?
  • what do you think of this?
  • look what I found! What does everyone else think?

What else? I know I’m missing loads because my brain is currently fried. :fried_egg: