Are you a Slack or Discord kind of person?

So, for a bit of fun, and after joining yet another Slack with a big smile on my face, I had this visualisation in my head that another Slack is kind of just like another person’s house to hang out in. And we can never have too many. :rofl:

Of course, we can replace Slack with Discord, or any other chat tool, but these two are the most popular that people like to argue over.

Are you a Slack or a Discord kind of person? And why?

(Feel free to add more context to your answers in the comments).

• Slack
  • Discord
  • Something else (tell us!)

0 voters

PS. I also made a digital rosie t-shirt for fun. :womans_clothes:

I’m in a lot more Discords than I am Slacks, but that might be because I have a much heavier use of online communities for my hobbies than for business stuff outside my work Slack. Might depend on what people’s entry points(?) to this sort of thing are? Might also be to do with how I rigorously shut down/ignore notifications for my work slack Out of Hours.

What are other folks experiences?

2 Likes

100%! I think that’s what I was trying to say earlier on Slack but you said it a lot more clearly. I’m in so many hobby groups :sweat_smile:. I also use both outside of work hours unless I’m on vacation or in a place I realllly don’t want to think about work at all.

2 Likes

Hot take: Slack is a terrible piece of trash and I hate it? I really don’t get why people love it so much… I don’t. It is an adequate chat client. That’s… it. What’s the big deal? It requires all kinds of rigmarole to join multiple servers (I get that’s part of the point for some people/some scenarios), it has free version limitations, its threading model is better than no threading but is actually not very good vs. the ideal, its read/unread status is problematic, it doesn’t manage status and user engagement well, and it’s not suitable for actual community development… IMHO. Is that enough of a “vote”? :rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t think I love Slack’s features.

But it just works, people generally show up, and it enables me to talk to people. I barely use any integrations.

It also just allows me to chat to people and I don’t have those conversations anywhere else atm.

So it’s not about loving Slack, it’s about liking what it actually enables.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the thing: for whatever reason Slack is being used for community/communications around really interesting topics/programs/etc. I just hope that in time we’ll be able to migrate away from it to a larger degree. And I suppose my resistance to it is in part my own tiny statement in favor of alternatives, but it’s also true that I miss out on some things I would enjoy being part of as a result.

Why do you think Slack is used so much for community? The big reason to me seems to just be convenience, and maybe that’s enough…

Also interesting that so far people don’t seem to necessarily be a “Slack person” or a “Discord person”, the choice of platform seems more about what happens to be in use in the communities we are interested in. That makes total sense, but also raises questions about e.g. the marginalization of forums that we’ve discussed elsewhere: Are forum platforms dead? I.e. why aren’t forums on topics of interest to people thriving as much or being created as much as they used to (arguably).

Of course it could just be as simple as the chat/synchronous communication vs. forum/asynchronous divide. Many people seem to have an intrinsic preference for chat/sync, or at the very least an inability to resist its immediacy, even if it doesn’t make them happy. :smile: Sorry, drifting OT here. I’ll take it back to the other thread for anything further. :wink: