Are you a neurodiverse community manager?

Just something I’m curious about, I got diagnosed with ADHD about two years ago and when I started mentioning it to people more than a few community managers said “me too”.

To generalise folk with ADHD thrive in jobs with lots of stimulation and aren’t monotonous. We’re often good in a crisis, we’re “out of the box” thinkers, we can hyperfocus on things we find interesting and can have a eye for detail.

Thinking about it, I shouldn’t be suprised that I fell into community management as I can’t think of a job that’s more suited for someone who has ADHD :slight_smile: . So if you’re comfortable saying, do you have ADHD or another type of neurodiversity? And how does it interact with your job as community manager?

4 Likes

I believe I am, but I haven’t been diagnosed yet. I discovered symptoms are very different for men than women and in comparison much more women go undiagnosed.

My eldest child (18) is officially diagnosed. Now that I know more about ND I think all my kids are neurodiverse.

Of course things start to make sense…especially with the fact that unschooling feels so right for us. And I work for myself and get a lot more done on my terms because I have my own ways of being.

:eyes: There’s also some responses here when I shared on Twitter - https://twitter.com/rosiesherry/status/1537054287632773121

2 Likes

I have ADHD I was diagnosed last year but took 5 years to get that diagnosis, but it was mentioned at school. It does lend itself well to that as I find it means I am good at connecting lots of things or people and the stimulation it gives my brain. Also I sort of ended up doing community management as I spent a lot of time online and I think this may also be having ADHD - internet is an endless source of information and dopamine!

3 Likes

I can heartily recommend getting diagnosed and being prescribed stimulants :slight_smile: It’s not a cure but having just a few extra bits of executive function is a very quiet miracle.

Oh yes I can also recommend getting some ADHD coaching as litterally every piece of advice for “getting things done” or “beating procrastination” is entirely useless to people with ADHD as our brains don’t work like that. I’ve had a bunch of sessions paid for by my work’s training budget and the organisational strategies and hacks to maintain motivation are actually worth the time.

1 Like

Never officially diagnosed neurodiverse but I officially got to join the club as a minority member when I had a severe brain injury almost two years ago (Stairs are dangerous. Sometimes instead of taking them up or down, they lead you into a coma instead!). Now have trauma-induced epilepsy.

I’ve recovered a lot and my brain is all there and functioning, but fatigue can destroy me some days. I used to be able to work 24/7, and now if I push it past 8 hours Ill get killer migraines and generally want to pass out. So it’s a balance of everything.

I was having a whole host of other issues, but luckily a lot of those vanished or diminished when I was able to get off my anti-seizure meds a few months back. That stuff was not fun!

With all that said - One of the best jobs I probably could have have going through it. Being remote for it all has helped me deal with it. I punched a lot of walls as I recovered on top of the random emotional outbreaks of laughter or crying, and probably wouldn’t have gone over well in the workplace.

1 Like

Oh my. That sounds really tough. :heart:

TIL about trauma-induced epilepsy. :grimacing:

Honestly, I feel like life is so short these days and I’m trying to make life decisions with that in mind.

I’m assuming you got good support from your employer? What did that look like?

Life is short, and definitely was one of those reminders. Week after being released from hospital, we found out my wife was pregnant. It was a crazy year.

Employer (Anaplan at the time) was cool with giving me as much time as was needed, I was more my own worst enemy and went back far sooner than I should have. My wife also worked there, and similarly gave her all the PTO needed to help me.

1 Like

I’m my own worst enemy sometimes too…always giving myself a hard time. My husband is great at reminding me of everything I do and encourages me to switch off.

Hi @Mark_Wilkin :slight_smile: This thread is fascinating. Can you recommend an ADHD coach or where to look to find one, please?

Yes I can heartily recommend https://www.grantacoaching.com/ I’ve done their 6 month/12 sessions course.

There’s also https://www.headstuffadhdtherapy.co.uk/ which I was recommended while I was looking into this stuff.

One good sign is usually if the coach has ADHD themselves I’ve found myself :slight_smile: